History of Troup County Government

In 1826, the Georgia State Legislature created the Inferior Court as the first governing body of Troup County. A council of five was elected to serve with judicial powers in lesser cases, as opposed to the Superior Court.

Troup County was reorganized in 1827 and divided to create Meriwether County from the eastern portion. At this time a new council of five was elected with powers to create militia districts, govern the county, and build bridges and roads. They had authority over probate matters until 1852, when that function was given to a Judge of the Court of Ordinary (now called Probate Judge). The Inferior Court's powers as a judiciary agency ended in 1866 with the creation of the County Court.

On February 28, 1876, the County Commission was created and took over the remaining duties of the Inferior Court, which was abolished in 1877. During the 20-year period from 1876 through 1895, all members of the County Commission were appointed by the Grand Jury. Beginning in 1895, the positions became elective county-wide. A measure to stagger the election of commissioners to avoid all members from being replaced at the same time was adopted in 1954.

In 1974 the Troup County Board of Commissioners adopted a commission/manager form of government. The Board appointed a county manager to manage the daily executive and administrative functions of the county, overseeing policy development, records management, financial management, accounts payable, employee benefits and payroll.
A new election system was put in place in 1978 which called for changing from the county-wide election of all posts to a five-member board with four elected by district. The position of Chairman, which had previously been chosen by the commissioners, became a county-wide elected post.

Troup County has been the recipient of the Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting by the Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada for 22 consecutive years. The county is an active member of the National Association of Counties (NACo) and the Association of County Commissioners of Georgia (ACCG).


For more information on historical or genealogical facts, please contact the Troup County Archives, (706) 884-1828.